10 August 2011

Pre-graduation things


Although I have graduated before, I never attended a graduation ceremony. For my Masters I had to defend my thesis publicly, wait for half an hour, and then received my official paper. No gowns involved. This time it is going to be a whole other kettle of fish. Never knew there were so many rules in relation to academic dress! And every uni has their own gowns. Although I really like the red ones, ours are the yellow/gold ones on the right. Including the baret (cool!). They cost a bomb, so it really is a matter of thinking about how sure I am about continuing to work in academia. Must say that of all the disparate jobs I had, working at a university suits me best and I like it best too. So maybe it is a good investment to get my own one? Even if it is not red?
Anyway, other things that needed attention but have all been taken care of are printing and binding of thesis and buying tickets for guests to the graduation, which takes place in Parliament House. Great location! Only 6 weeks to go ...

No comments: